Camp Chowenwaw County Park
Camp Chowenwaw (Cho’-wen-waw), is a beautiful 150-acre site at the mouth of Black Creek, near its confluence with the St. Johns River. The Girl Scout Council of Duval County operated the site as a camp for over 70 years. The original cabins and the Big Cabin were built with federal aid using logs cut on site. The camp opened on July 1, 1933.
Camp Chowenwaw has played an important role in the lives of three generations of young women in Northeast Florida.Thousands of campers have stayed at the Camp; many have gone on to be leaders in our community.
In 2006, Clay County purchased the camp from the Girl Scouts of Gateway Council with assistance from Florida Communities Trust using Florida Forever funds.
It is now a public park offering a variety of recreation including trails, camping and overnight cabins, nature programs, fishing pier, canoe launch, picnicking, swimming pool, museum, playground, and meeting rooms.
The Park is managed as a conservation, historic preservation, and outdoor recreation area.